|Posted by Administrator on May 30, 2017 at 11:40 AM|
We were hoping to hold off until we have more information. But it seems that concerns have fueled some rumors. So we are here to let everyone know what is happening so far, and separating fact from speculation.
Yes, it is true that we have been requested to vacate the space at 611 Broad Street in Milford – where we have resided for the past five and a half years.
No need to protest with the landlord (as some people have suggested). It is, after all, her building and she must do with it what is best for her. She is a business woman and this building is her business.
To that end, we had a decision to make. Do we move? Do we close the shop?
We thought long and hard on this decision.
If we close the shop, the Mission will still go on. The work that the nonprofit does is important, so there is no need to worry if we are going to stop helping people. That is NOT going to happen.
But if we close the shop, we realized that: 1) it would diminish the HOW of what we do here. The shop makes the money to fund the various projects and assistance work we do. 2) We would lose the daily face to face with the very people we are trying to help, trying to educate and trying to raise awareness of some very real difficulties our friends and neighbors are facing. 3) Our ability to help people RIGHT NOW with some of their needs would also be diminished.
SO with that in mind, we decided to start looking for alternative locations for the shop.
We looked at locations around the area, and even considered some in Port Jervis, NY. But those locations outside of Milford proper presented some real challenges.
How were we going to support the people who have come to depend on us that do not have reliable transportation? How were we going to coordinate with various other nonprofits and government agencies that are mainly located here in Milford? How much business would we lose from the foot traffic in Milford, especially during the height of the tourist season?
So we decided to look mainly in Milford. THIS was a challenge to us for several reasons. There is not a lot of space available in Milford that could house the shop. And some of the prices and landlords here also presented a huge issue for us. We have to try and operate on an austere operating budget in order to help as many families and individuals as we can.
Where we currently stand is that we are negotiating for a space, here in Milford. We do not currently HAVE a location but we are hoping and praying that things soon work out so that we can start planning our actual move.
Some very nice people who heard we might close down have come to offer their help. And we appreciate their efforts and look forward to working with them. We are not at liberty to say who right now, but rest assured once things are firmed up, we will be publicly thanking everyone who has come to help us.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Right now, we ask our friends, clients and patrons to do their part to help us make this move a smooth one. So there are a few things you can do to help us out.
1) We know some people are upset about the prospect of us closing our doors or ending our mission. Neither is true. So please, don't spread rumors about whether or not we are closing or moving or leaving the area. Refer people to this blog or our Facebook page for more information.
2) Keep shopping. We still have lots of things at the shop and will still have lots of things at the shop to buy. You buying helps us to continue the mission of helping those in need.
3) Keep donating. We are only taking a limited amount of items. But we ALWAYS need clothing (because we also give these to people in need free of charge). We are taking CDs, DVDs, small knick knacks and some limited small furniture. Just call or stop in and ask. (We are also accepting donations for our Winter Sheltering Fund. We need $4500 by October at a minimum.)
4) Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we move forward on the next phase of our journey here at Calling All Angels Mission. (And keep us in mind that we will need some physical help when it comes time to actually move.)
5) Keep up with our updates on Facebook. We will try to keep everyone updated on where we are in the process.
Thank you all. For your patronage, your donations and your belief in us to be able to help our friends and neighbors in need.